Monday, February 22, 2010

I wrote this review about a year ago...



First impressions created an excited and interested twitter amongst the FBA members on arrival at the Hopetoun Tea Rooms at 10am Saturday morning. I'm saddened by the fact that the fantastic décor was not met with a fantastic experience. As far as I'm aware, all 10 of us were first time visitors and intrigued by the hype that surrounds the place. My anticipations of a traditional 19th century English tea ceremony teamed up with delicate sandwiches were disappointed by overpriced drab food and a standard tea list served the same way as any cafe today.

The Welsh Rarebit was almost enough to fill me. At $13.50, I at least expected a little more than one square slice of bread. The topping was quite tasty and true to tradition though. Looking around the table, I witnessed apathetic responses to filled croissants (around $12), rolled sandwiches, baked potatoes (19th century? Go figure) & cinnamon toast ($4.50). The scones got a good wrap, and when it came to sweet things the lemon tart was described as a scrumptious experience. Unfortunately the boasts of "the best vanilla slice in Melbourne" did not ring true to me with grainy custard and way too sweet icing.

I am trying to include some positive response to our morning, but sadly even the service was poor. Staff were friendly enough, but not present often, and when they were it was clear that there was a lack of training and confidence. I doubt any of the FBA members will return to Hopetoun Tea Rooms, it just wasn't the drawcard it's been made out to be. If anything, the whole experience has inspired some members to host a more true to form High Tea event of our own…

Kristen Retallick

No comments: